Salem News Channel

RSS Feed

Judge To Hear Arguments in Tiger Woods DUI Case

Attorneys for golf star Tiger Woods are set to battle prosecutors in a Florida courtroom over whether his prescription drug records should be turned over following his DUI arrest earlier this year. Prosecutors are seeking records from a Palm Beach pharmacy covering the first three months of the year as part of their case against Woods. His defense attorney argues the golfer has a constitutional right to privacy regarding his medical and prescription history. Woods has pleaded not guilty to driving under the influence after deputies said he showed signs of impairment following a crash on Jupiter Island in March. Authorities said Woods was driving at high speeds on a residential road when his SUV clipped a truck trailer and rolled over. Deputies reportedly found pain pills in his pocket. A Breathalyzer test showed no alcohol in his system, though investigators said Woods refused to take a urine test.

Read More...

Senate GOP pushes White House security funding

Senate Republicans say they are moving forward with a proposal to provide the Secret Service with up to $1 billion for security upgrades connected to President Donald Trump’s planned White House ballroom project. Lawmakers backing the proposal argue the additional security measures are necessary following last month’s alleged assassination attempt against the president. The funding would be used to secure construction tied to the planned East Wing addition at the White House. Trump has previously said the ballroom itself would be financed through private donations, though the administration had not publicly outlined projected security costs before the proposal surfaced. The ballroom project is expected to cost roughly $400 million, according to Trump. Critics have questioned the use of taxpayer dollars for the security component, while supporters say enhanced protection is justified given ongoing threats against the president.

Read More...

Trump pushes federal gas tax suspension

Donald Trump says he wants to suspend the federal gas tax as Americans deal with soaring fuel prices tied to the ongoing Iran war. The president said the move could provide relief to drivers facing rising transportation costs, but he cannot suspend the tax on his own. Any federal gas tax holiday would require approval from Congress. The current federal tax adds 18.4 cents per gallon to gasoline prices and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel, in addition to state taxes that vary across the country. According to AAA, the national average price for gasoline climbed to $4.52 per gallon Monday — roughly 50% higher than before the conflict escalated. Lawmakers from both parties have previously supported temporary gas tax suspensions during periods of sharply rising fuel costs.

Read More...

Trump, Xi to Hold High-Stakes China Talks

Donald Trump is headed to Beijing for a high-stakes summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping as tensions over Iran and global trade continue to grow. The White House is pressuring China to use its influence over Iran to help reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global shipping route disrupted by the ongoing conflict in the Middle East. China, one of Iran’s largest oil customers, has publicly called for an end to the war while U.S. officials continue accusing some Chinese companies of supporting Iran’s military operations. Despite the tensions, administration officials are downplaying expectations for any major breakthroughs during the trip. Instead, both countries appear focused on maintaining stable trade relations and preventing additional turmoil in global financial markets. The summit comes at a time of heightened uncertainty for the world economy, with energy prices and shipping concerns already impacting markets worldwide.

Read More...

Supreme Court Temporarily Extends Women's Access To Widely Used Abortion Pill

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court is leaving women’s access to a widely used abortion pill untouched until at least Thursday, while the justices consider whether to allow restrictions on the drug, mifepristone, to take effect. Justice Samuel Alito’s order Monday allows women seeking abortions to continue obtaining the pill at pharmacies or through the mail, without an in-person visit to a doctor. It prevents restrictions on mifepristone imposed by a federal appeals court from taking effect for now. The court is dealing with its latest abortion controversy four years after its conservative majority overturned Roe v. Wade and allowed more than a dozen states to effectively ban abortion outright. Louisiana leads the current challenge.

Read More...

U.S. Marshals Capture 17-Year-Old Suspected In Mass Shooting On Iowa City Pedestrian Mall

Federal authorities on Monday arrested a teenager in Georgia who is accused of opening fire last month near a popular University of Iowa nightlife district, injuring five people. Iowa City officials announced in a news release that U.S. marshals captured Damarian M. Jones, 17, of Cedar Rapids, near Atlanta. He faces multiple charges, including five counts of attempted murder and five counts of assault. He was being held in the Clayton County Jail in Georgia pending a hearing on extradition to Iowa. The release did not explain how the marshals tracked Jones down, exactly where he was arrested or whether he resisted them. It wasn't immediately clear whether he has an attorney. Johnson County Attorney Rachel Zimmerman Smith, who would prosecute the case if Jones is moved back to Iowa, said she didn't have any details about the circumstances of the arrest and didn't know if Jones had an attorney. Messages left at the U.S. Marshals Office in Des Moines and the Iowa City Police Department weren’t immediately returned. Police have said Jones was part of a large fight that broke out along a pedestrian mall lined with shops, bars and restaurants near the Iowa campus just before 2 a.m. on April 19. During a break in the fighting, he allegedly fired six shots toward the crowd and then fled. One person was shot in the head and another in the arm and chest. Two more people were hit in at least one leg and another person was struck in the stomach. The news release Monday said one victim remained hospitalized but did not specify which one or elaborate on that person's condition.

Read More...

Democrats are race obsessed

Democrats Are Race Obsessed

Read More...

Are Black People Really Not Being Elected Into Office?

Are Black People Really Not Being Elected Into Office?

Read More...

Gary Sinise on Honoring His Late Son

Gary Sinise on Honoring His Late Son

Read More...

Iran Wants Us to Surrender

Iran Wants Us to Surrender

Read More...

Trump Signing Orders To Boost Beef Imports, Rebuild Cattle Herd

CHICAGO, May 11 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump is set to sign executive orders on Monday to allow increased beef imports into the U.S. and to support renewal of the U.S. cattle herd in an effort to address high beef prices, a White House official said. The official did not provide details on the two executive orders, which come at a time when the U.S. cattle herd has shrunk to its lowest level in 75 years and beef prices continue to climb. The Wall Street Journal earlier had reported that Trump would temporarily suspend tariff-rate quotas on beef, which would allow more of the meat to enter the U.S. at lower tariff rates. The newspaper also said that Trump would direct the Small Business Administration to increase lending to ranchers and to reduce protections for gray and Mexican wolves that prey on herds under the Endangered Species Act.

Read More...

Will Trump get Jimmy Lai free?

Will Trump Get Jimmy Lai Free?

Read More...

M and M Extra: Faith Under Fire

Erika Kirk's commencement speech at Hillsdale College reminds us that, although we live in a time when Christian leaders are routinely targeted for their faith, it is important for believers to challenge the status quo.

Read More...

Iran Blows Off U.S Deal

Iran Blows Off U.S Deal

Read More...

The President Says the Iran Ceasefire is on Life Support

The President Says the Iran Ceasefire is on Life Support

Read More...

Trump: Iran Ceasefire 'On Life Support'

WASHINGTON/DUBAI, May 11 (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Monday that a ceasefire with Iran was "on life support" after he rejected Tehran's response to a U.S. peace proposal, fuelling concerns of a resumption of hostilities in the 10-week-old conflict that has killed thousands and halted vital energy flows. Days after Washington floated a proposal aimed at reopening negotiations, Iran on Sunday released a response focused on ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon, where U.S. ally Israel is fighting Iran-backed Hezbollah militants. The response had been swiftly rejected by Trump. Asked where the ceasefire stands, Trump told reporters on Monday. "I would call it the weakest right now, after reading that piece of garbage they sent us. I didn't even finish reading it," he said. In its response, Tehran also demanded compensation for war damage, emphasised its sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz, and called on the U.S. to end its naval blockade, guarantee no further attacks, lift sanctions and remove a ban on Iranian oil sales. The U.S. had proposed an end to fighting before starting talks on more contentious issues, including Iran's nuclear programme. Tehran defended its stance on Monday. "Our demand is legitimate: demanding an end to the war, lifting the (U.S.) blockade and piracy, and releasing Iranian assets that have been unjustly frozen in banks due to U.S. pressure," Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said. "Safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz and establishing security in the region and Lebanon were other demands of Iran, which are considered a generous and responsible offer." Brent crude oil futures traded 2.7% higher at around $104 a barrel, as the deadlock left the Strait of Hormuz largely closed. Before the war began on February 28, the narrow waterway carried one-fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas, and has since become a central pressure point in the conflict. Disruption caused by the near-closure of the strait has forced oil producers to cut exports, and OPEC oil output dropped further in April to the lowest in more than two decades, a Reuters survey showed on Monday. TRICKLE OF SHIPPING THROUGH HORMUZ Traffic through the Strait of Hormuz is at a trickle compared with before the war. Shipping data on Kpler and LSEG showed that three tankers laden with crude exited the waterway last week, with trackers switched off to avoid Iranian attack. A second Qatari LNG tanker was attempting to transit the strait, the data showed, days after the first such cargo crossed under an arrangement involving Iran and Pakistan. Sporadic flare-ups around the strait in recent days have tested a ceasefire that has paused all-out warfare since it took effect in early April. In the United States, surveys show the war is unpopular with voters facing sharply higher gasoline prices less than six months before nationwide elections that will determine whether Trump's Republican Party retains control of Congress. Washington has also struggled to build international support, with NATO allies refusing to send ships to reopen the waterway without a full peace deal and an internationally mandated mission. Hakan Fidan, the foreign minister of Turkey, which has been liaising closely with the U.S., Iran and mediator Pakistan since the start of the war, will hold talks in Qatar on Tuesday on the conflict and on ensuring navigational safety in the strait, a Turkish diplomatic source said. TRUMP SET TO DISCUSS IRAN IN BEIJING The next diplomatic or military steps remain unclear. Trump is expected to arrive in Beijing on Wednesday, where Iran is set to be among the topics discussed with Chinese President Xi Jinping. Trump has been leaning on China to use its influence to push Tehran toward a deal with Washington. Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Baghaei suggested China could instead use the visit to push back against U.S. objectives in the Gulf. "Our Chinese friends know very well how to use these opportunities to warn about the consequences of the U.S.' illegal and bullying actions on regional peace and security," he said. Addressing whether combat operations against Iran were over, Trump said in remarks aired on Sunday: "They are defeated, but that doesn't mean they're done." Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the war was not over because there was "more work to be done" to remove enriched uranium from Iran, dismantle enrichment facilities and address its proxy forces and ballistic missile capabilities. Netanyahu told CBS News' "60 Minutes" that the preferred route was diplomacy, but he did not rule out the use of force. Clashes have also continued in southern Lebanon between Israel and Hezbollah, despite a U.S.-brokered ceasefire announced on April 16.

Read More...

Democrats Now Want to Fight the Supreme Court

Democrats Now Want to Fight the Supreme Court

Read More...

AOC Knows Nothing About History

AOC Knows Nothing About History

Read More...

6 Found Dead In Cargo Train Boxcar In Texas Border Town

LAREDO, Texas (AP) — Police report that six people were found dead inside a cargo train boxcar at a Union Pacific rail yard in Laredo, Texas. Police in Laredo say workers discovered the bodies on Sunday while inspecting the car. The deceased include five men and one woman. Autopsies are planned, but the cargo car's travel history is unknown. Laredo is a busy trade port on the U.S.-Mexico border. Last year, two men were sentenced to life in prison in connection with a deadly human smuggling attempt in 2022 during which a cargo car traveled from Mexico to Laredo and went on to San Antonio. A total of 53 migrants died.

Read More...

Family Of Florida Mass Shooting Victim Sues OpenAI In U.S. Court

May 11 (Reuters) - The family of a man killed in a 2025 mass shooting at Florida State University has filed a lawsuit against OpenAI in a U.S. court, claiming the shooter was aided by ChatGPT in planning the attack. The family of Tiru Chabba filed the lawsuit on Sunday in Florida federal court against the company and the man charged in the shooting, Phoenix Ikner. It is at least the second lawsuit filed in the U.S. accusing OpenAI of facilitating a mass shooting. The lawsuit claims ChatGPT served as a co-conspirator in the shooting, because Ikner planned and carried it out using information provided by ChatGPT in conversations in the preceding months. Despite conversations about mass shootings, the lethality of Ikner’s weapons and when the FSU student union was busiest, the chatbot did not flag or escalate the conversations, the lawsuit claims. The lawsuit, which seeks compensatory and punitive damages, accuses OpenAI of designing a defective product and failing to warn the public about its risks. "Last year's mass shooting at Florida State University was a tragedy, but ChatGPT is not responsible for this terrible crime," OpenAI spokesperson Drew Pusateri said in a statement. "In this case, ChatGPT provided factual responses to questions with information that could be found broadly across public sources on the internet, and it did not encourage or promote illegal or harmful activity." Pusateri said the company identified an account believed to be associated with the suspect after the shooting and proactively shared it with law enforcement. The company continues to cooperate with law enforcement and is continuously working to improve detection of harmful intent, he said. Ikner, a deputy sheriff's son, killed two people and wounded four others at the school in Tallahassee, Florida, before he was shot by officers and hospitalized, authorities said. He faces two counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of attempted first-degree murder, according to court records. A lawyer for Ikner did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier announced in April that he was launching a criminal investigation into ChatGPT's role in the FSU shooting after prosecutors reviewed the chat logs between Ikner and the program. OpenAI has said it trains its ?models to refuse requests that could "meaningfully enable violence," ?and notifies law enforcement when conversations suggest "an imminent and credible risk of harm to others," with mental health experts helping assess borderline cases. AI companies are facing a growing wave of lawsuits accusing them of failing to prevent chatbot interactions that plaintiffs say contribute ?to self-harm, mental illness and violence. Last month, family members of victims of one of Canada's deadliest mass shootings filed a group of lawsuits against OpenAI and CEO Sam ?Altman, alleging the company knew eight months before the attack that the shooter was planning it on ChatGPT but did not warn ?police.

Read More...

First ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last

Salem News Channel Today

Sponsored Links

On Air & Up Next

  • The Scott Jennings Show
    11:06AM - 12:00PM
     
    Jennings is battle-tested on cable news, a veteran of four presidential   >>
     
  • The Hugh Hewitt Show
    12:00PM - 3:00PM
     
    Hugh Hewitt is one of the nation’s leading bloggers and a genuine media   >>
     
  • The O'Reilly Update
    12:01PM - 12:05PM
     
    Americans need real reporting, honest analysis, and straight talk now more than   >>
     
  • The Larry Elder Show
    3:00PM - 6:00PM
     
    Larry Elder personifies the phrase “We’ve Got a Country to Save” The “Sage from   >>
     
  • SEKULOW
    6:00PM - 7:00PM
     
    Logan Sekulow and Will Haynes are joined by Jordan Sekulow to discuss Justice   >>
     

See the Full Program Guide