President Donald Trump said on Monday (May 4) that “hundreds of millions" of barrels of oil are coming out of Venezuela as Washington seeks to deepen its involvement in the country’s energy sector.
"We have a great relationship. We have hundreds of millions of barrels of oil coming out of Venezuela, going to Houston and different places to have it refined. And we're sort of, it's almost really a partnership," said Trump. "The big companies are coming in now and they're building these giant rigs because there's a lot of oil in Venezuela, there's a lot of other things too, and a lot of great people."
Recent data shows Venezuela's exports are at roughly 1.2 million barrels per day, their highest level in years.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Secret Service says a suspect who opened fire Monday on the National Mall did so after being confronted by officers. Secret Service Deputy Director Matt Quinn said officers returned fire, and a bystander was struck by the suspect. He said the motorcade of Vice President JD Vance transited through the area not long before the shooting, but there was no indication it was the target. The incident happened Monday afternoon around 15th Street and Independence Avenue near the Washington Monument. The Secret Service encouraged people to avoid the area as emergency crews responded to the shooting not far from the White House, where President Donald Trump was holding a small business event.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Secret Service says an individual has been shot by law enforcement near the Washington Monument. The person’s condition and the circumstances surrounding the shooting around 15th Street and Independence Avenue were not immediately known. Secret Service encouraged people to avoid the area as emergency crews responded. The White House was briefly locked down as authorities investigated the incident.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Secret Service says an individual has been shot by law enforcement near the Washington Monument. The person’s condition and the circumstances surrounding the shooting around 15th Street and Independence Avenue were not immediately known. Secret Service encouraged people to avoid the area as emergency crews responded. The White House was briefly locked down as authorities investigated the incident.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The man accused of sparking the deadly Palisades Fire in Los Angeles was upset that he didn't have plans for New Year's Eve and ranted about being angry at the world before the initial blaze was sparked, according to court documents filed by prosecutors.
Jonathan Rinderknecht, 29, has pleaded not guilty to starting what became one of the most destructive wildfires in California history. It began Jan. 7, 2025, in hillside neighborhoods of Pacific Palisades and Malibu and killed 12 people. Prosecutors say Rinderknecht started a fire on Jan. 1 that burned undetected deep in root systems before flaring back up a week later.
Rinderknecht’s trial is set to begin June 8. His attorneys say he is being used as a scapegoat for the Los Angeles Fire Department’s failure to fully extinguish the earlier blaze.
An outline of the prosecutors' strategy — with details about the defendant’s alleged state of mind on the night before the first fire began — appears in an April 29 pre-trial memo filed by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Witnesses reported that Rinderknecht had been driving erratically while on Uber routes around the Palisades on New Year's Eve, said prosecutors. His passengers described him as “angry, intense, driving erratically, and ranting about being ‘pissed off at the world,'" the memo said.
According to court filings, Rinderknecht ranted to passengers about accused UnitedHealthcare CEO shooter Luigi Mangione, capitalism and vigilantism. In an interview with investigators on Jan. 24, when asked why someone might commit arson in the Palisades, Rinderknecht “responded that it would be out of resentment of the rich enjoying their money as ‘we’re basically being enslaved by them,’” and again referenced Mangione’s alleged crime, the documents said.
In addition, prosecutors said Rinderknecht was distraught over a failed relationship and upset about thwarted plans for New Year's Eve.
“My client maintains his innocence as he has from the beginning and we look forward to clearing his name at trial," Rinderknecht’s attorney Steve Haney said in an email Sunday. “The offered motive that my client started a fire on NYs Eve because he did not have date speaks for itself.”
Haney held a news conference in March to call for Rinderknecht's release from jail in light of evidence he said shows he is not responsible for the blaze. Haney pointed to a deposition in which a firefighter testified that he noticed the ground was still smoldering from the fire on Jan. 2 and alerted a supervisors that there were hot spots. That testimony was gathered as part of a lawsuit filed by fire victims against the city.
A battalion chief had testified that he walked the perimeter of the burn area four times throughout the day and ensured all hot spots were out.
Fire Department Chief Jaime Moore, who was appointed in October, has said he is concerned about the differences in the firefighters’ testimonies and commissioned an independent report on how the Jan. 1 fire was handled.
Haney has said this evidence was not available to the defense when Rinderknecht was indicted.
The ceasefire in the Iran war faces its most critical moment yet as the United States begins efforts to open the Strait of Hormuz. On Monday, the U.S. launched "Project Freedom" to guide ships through the strait, calling it a humanitarian effort. Iran views this as a violation of the ceasefire. The U.S. says two U.S.-flagged ships have safely transited, but Iran warns that any foreign military force in the strait will be targeted. Already, the United Arab Emirates says it has come under attack for the first time since the early April ceasefire, and a British military monitor says two cargo vessels are ablaze.
Hugh Hewitt is one of the nation’s leading bloggers and a genuine media >>Hugh Hewitt is one of the nation’s leading bloggers and a genuine media revolutionary. He brings that expertise, his wit and what The New Yorker magazine calls his “amiable but relentless manner” to his nationally syndicated show . . . . <<
Larry Elder personifies the phrase “We’ve Got a Country to Save” The “Sage from >>Larry Elder personifies the phrase “We’ve Got a Country to Save” The “Sage from South Central” is back on the radio and TV! <<
Logan Sekulow and Will Haynes are joined by Jordan Sekulow to discuss Justice >>Logan Sekulow and Will Haynes are joined by Jordan Sekulow to discuss Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson making the media rounds lately. <<
Trump warns Iran “clock is ticking” until U.S. launches harder strikes Trump >>Trump warns Iran “clock is ticking” until U.S. launches harder strikes Trump scores major Republican primary victory as Cassidy ousted in Louisiana South Carolina’s 51st Attorney General, Alan Wilson, has been directly involved in the . . . . <<
Broadcast from the heart of Times Square, Kevin McCullough takes America’s >>Broadcast from the heart of Times Square, Kevin McCullough takes America’s pulse — and delivers the shock it needs. <<
Salem Media, our partners, and affiliates use cookies and similar technologies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, personalize site content, and deliver relevant video recommendations. By using this website and continuing to navigate, you consent to our use of such technologies and the sharing of video viewing activity with third-party partners in accordance with the Video Privacy Protection Act and other privacy laws.Privacy Policy