Salem News Channel

RSS Feed

E-E-O-C Sues New York Times Over Alleged Discriminatory Promotion Practices

The New York Times is facing a federal discrimination lawsuit filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which claims the newspaper passed over a white male employee for a promotion in favor of a less qualified woman to meet diversity goals. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of a Times editor who alleged he was denied the role of deputy real estate editor in 2025 because of his race and gender. According to the complaint, the E-E-O-C argues the newspaper engaged in unlawful discrimination by favoring a female candidate as part of broader diversity initiatives. The New York Times strongly denied the allegations, calling the lawsuit politically motivated and saying the company plans to defend itself vigorously in court. The case comes as the Trump administration continues increasing scrutiny of diversity, equity, and inclusion policies at major institutions and corporations across the country.

Read More...

EEOC Sues New York Times Over Alleged Discriminatory Promotion Practices

The New York Times is facing a federal discrimination lawsuit filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which claims the newspaper passed over a white male employee for a promotion in favor of a less qualified woman to meet diversity goals. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of a Times editor who alleged he was denied the role of deputy real estate editor in 2025 because of his race and gender. According to the complaint, the EEOC argues the newspaper engaged in unlawful discrimination by favoring a female candidate as part of broader diversity initiatives. The New York Times strongly denied the allegations, calling the lawsuit politically motivated and saying the company plans to defend itself vigorously in court. The case comes as the Trump administration continues increasing scrutiny of diversity, equity, and inclusion policies at major institutions and corporations across the country.

Read More...

Judge Releases Note Linked To Epstein Case

A judge has released a note tied to Jeffrey Epstein’s first suspected suicide attempt while he was being held in a New York jail. The document was provided by Epstein’s former cellmate, Nicholas Tartaglione, who claimed he discovered the note after the incident. The note had remained sealed in a courthouse vault for nearly five years as part of an unrelated legal dispute. Among the contents is the phrase “time to say goodbye,” though officials say it remains unclear who actually wrote the note. Tartaglione, a former police officer serving a life sentence for killing four people, said he turned the document over to investigators after Epstein’s first reported suicide attempt in 2019. The note was not referenced in extensive government reviews examining the circumstances surrounding Epstein’s death.

Read More...

Trump warns Iran of more bombing if no deal is reached

Iran says it is reviewing a new U.S. proposal aimed at ending the ongoing war, as President Donald Trump warns Tehran could face intensified bombing if no agreement is reached. The conflict has already disrupted global oil markets after the Strait of Hormuz — one of the world’s most critical shipping routes for oil — was shut down amid escalating tensions. On Wednesday, the United States fired on an Iranian tanker accused of attempting to break an American blockade on Iranian ports. Trump said Iranian officials appear interested in reaching a deal, but warned military action would increase if negotiations fail. Officials in Pakistan, which hosted recent talks between the two sides, say they believe an agreement could come soon despite last month’s negotiations ending without a breakthrough.

Read More...

Americans monitored after deadly cruise ship virus outbreak

A cruise ship connected to a deadly hantavirus outbreak is heading to Spain’s Canary Islands after three passengers were evacuated for medical treatment. According to the World Health Organization, eight cases have been identified so far, including three deaths. Two patients diagnosed with hantavirus and another suspected case were transported for treatment after the ship departed from Cape Verde. Health officials investigating the outbreak believe a Dutch couple may have contracted the virus during a bird-watching excursion before boarding the vessel. Authorities say the couple may have unknowingly brought the infection aboard, leading to additional cases among passengers. Hantavirus is a rare but potentially deadly disease typically spread through contact with infected rodents or their droppings. Officials continue to investigate the source and monitor passengers as the ship makes its way toward the Canary Islands.

Read More...

DoorDash To Spend $50 Million On Gas Price Relief For Drivers

DoorDash said Wednesday it expects to spend more than $50 million in the second quarter on gas price relief for its delivery drivers. The San Francisco-based company said in March that it would offer extra compensation to U.S. and Canadian drivers as part of a temporary program to offset a sharp increase in gas prices due to the Iran war. The national average for a gallon of gas on Wednesday was $4.53, up 44% from a year ago, according to AAA. DoorDash said demand for deliveries remained strong in the January-March period despite higher gas prices. Total orders rose 27% to 933 million. But that fell short of Wall Street’s forecast of 954 million, according to analysts polled by FactSet. Revenue also fell short of expectations. DoorDash said its revenue rose 33% to $4.0 billion, which was shy of the $4.15 billion analysts were forecasting. The company said the gas price relief is being funded by adjusting investments in other areas. DoorDash said in November that it would be investing heavily in new products and services this year, including the addition of restaurant reservations in its app and robot deliveries. DoorDash said its net income fell 5% to $184 million, or 42 cents per share, for the January-March period. That was partly due to a 30% increase in research and development costs compared to the same period last year. That beat analysts' forecast of a 36-cent per share profit, according to FactSet. DoorDash's shares rose more than 11% in after hours trading Wednesday.

Read More...

Police Make Arrest In Oklahoma Party Shooting That Left 1 Dead, 22 Injured

Police say they've arrested an 18-year-old man after a weekend shooting left one woman dead and 22 other people wounded during a party beside an Oklahoma lake. Police said Jaylan A. Davis turned himself in Wednesday facing an initial charge of assault with a deadly weapon. The shooting occurred Sunday night at Arcadia Lake in the Oklahoma City suburb of Edmond. Edmond Police Chief J.D. Younger said at a news conference that the charge against Davis will be upgraded to felony murder because an 18-year-old woman has died from her wounds. Police say others suffered gunshot and shrapnel wounds during the shooting. There was no immediately lawyer listed for Davis in court documents.

Read More...

SCOTUS is Upsetting the Democrats

SCOTUS is Upsetting the Democrats

Read More...

Democrats are scared of Trump

Democrats Are Scared of Trump

Read More...

Iran Reviewing U.S. Proposal To End War, Though Key Demands Remain Unaddressed

ISLAMABAD/WASHINGTON/TEL AVIV, May 6 (Reuters) - Iran said on Wednesday it was reviewing a U.S. peace proposal that sources said would formally end the war while leaving unresolved the key U.S. demands that Iran suspend its nuclear program and reopen the Strait of Hormuz. An Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson cited by Iran's ISNA news agency said Tehran would convey its response. U.S. President Donald Trump said he believed Iran wanted an agreement. "They want to make a deal. We've had very good talks over the last 24 hours, and it's very possible that we'll make a deal," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Wednesday. Earlier in the day, Trump had sounded more pessimistic about the chances of a deal. In a Truth Social post, he threatened to restart the U.S. bombing campaign in Iran, calling the possibility of Tehran agreeing to the latest U.S. proposal a "big assumption." Trump has repeatedly played up the prospect of an agreement that would end the war that started February 28, so far without success. The two sides remain at odds over a variety of difficult issues, such as Iran's nuclear ambitions and its control of the Strait of Hormuz, which before the war handled one-fifth of the world's oil and gas supply. A Pakistani source and another source briefed on the mediation said an agreement was close on a one-page memorandum that would formally end the conflict. That would kick off discussions to unblock shipping through the strait, lift U.S. sanctions on Iran and set curbs on Iran's nuclear programme, the sources said. It was unclear how the memorandum differs from a 14-point plan proposed by Iran last week, and Iran has yet to respond to the latest U.S. proposal. Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency, citing an unnamed source, said the U.S. proposal contained some unacceptable provisions, without specifying which ones. Iranian lawmaker Ebrahim Rezaei, a spokesperson for parliament's powerful foreign policy and national security committee, described the text as "more of an American wish-list than a reality." "The Americans will not gain anything in a war they are losing that they have not gained in face-to-face negotiations," he wrote on social media. OIL PRICES TUMBLE Reports of a possible agreement caused global oil prices to tumble to two-week lows, with benchmark Brent crude futures falling around 11% to around $98 a barrel at one point before rising back above the $100 mark. Global share prices also leapt and bond yields fell on optimism about an end to a war that has disrupted energy supplies. [O/R] [MKTS/GLOB] Trump on Tuesday paused a two-day-old naval mission to reopen the blockaded strait, citing progress in peace talks. The U.S. military has kept up its own blockade on Iranian ships in the region. U.S. Central Command said forces fired at an unladen Iranian-flagged tanker on Wednesday, disabling the vessel as it attempted to sail toward an Iranian port in violation of the blockade. NO MENTION OF KEY U.S. DEMANDS The source briefed on the mediation said the U.S. negotiations were being led by Trump's envoy Steve Witkoff and son-in-law Jared Kushner. If both sides agreed on the preliminary deal, that would start the clock on 30 days of detailed negotiations to reach a full agreement. The full agreement would end the competing U.S. and Iranian blockades on the strait, lift U.S. sanctions and release frozen Iranian funds. It would also include some curbs on Iran's nuclear programme, with the aim of a pause or moratorium on Iranian enrichment of uranium. While the sources said the memorandum would not initially require concessions from either side, they did not mention several key demands Washington has made in the past, which Iran has rejected, such as curbs on Iran's missile programme and an end to its support for proxy militias in the Middle East. The sources also made no mention of Iran's existing stockpile of more than 400 kg (900 pounds) of near-weapons-grade uranium. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Trump's ally against Iran, said on Wednesday the two leaders agreed that all enriched uranium must be removed from Iran to prevent it from developing a nuclear bomb. Tehran denies wanting to acquire a nuclear weapon.

Read More...

Man Accused In Dallas-Area Shootings That Killed 2, Injured 3 Charged With Capital Murder

CARROLLTON, Texas (AP) — Police say a man accused of shooting five people, killing two, in back-to-back shootings at a shopping center and an apartment building in suburban Dallas has been charged with two counts of capital murder. Carrollton police said Wednesday that 69-year-old Seung Ho Han has also been charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The shootings happened Tuesday in the Koreatown neighborhood of Carrollton, a Dallas suburb. Police have declined to release the names of the victims. Han was being held in jail and records don't list an attorney for him.

Read More...

Mixed Messaging from Trump on Iran

Read More...

Teen Boy, Woman Shot And Killed In Michigan After Dispute Over Soccer Game

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) — A young man who was turned away from an informal soccer game in Michigan fatally shot a 15-year-old boy and killed a woman who tried to help the victim, all in the presence of other kids, police said. “There was at least seven or eight kids that are out here, juveniles, older juveniles that witnessed this, which is just horrific for anybody to witness, let alone juveniles," said Joe Trigg, interim police chief in Grand Rapids. The shootings occurred Tuesday evening near Southwest Elementary School. Classes were canceled there Wednesday and at another nearby school. Trigg said kids were playing soccer when an 18-year-old asked to be included. "For whatever reason, he was turned away,” Trigg said. “Did not like the fact that he was turned away so a verbal altercation started, which led to the suspect pulling out a firearm and shooting that juvenile. The adult female had came to the aid, verbally, of the juvenile victim so then she was targeted.” The suspect fled but was caught and arrested, police said. The Grand Rapids school district closed two schools Wednesday so the community can “process what has happened in our neighborhood.” “It’s just hard," area resident Donny Irving told WOOD-TV while visiting the site. "Everyone knows a youth and people who go to playgrounds who play, school students, and I think the whole community feels the loss that’s there.”

Read More...

Kentucky Derby Winner Golden Tempo Not Running In The Preakness

Kentucky Derby winner Golden Tempo will not run in the Preakness Stakes next weekend. Trainer Cherie DeVaux announced the plan to skip the Preakness and set sights on the Belmont Stakes on June 6 at Saratoga Race Course in upstate New York. Golden Tempo is the third Derby winner in the past five years not to be entered in the Preakness. For various reasons, it is the sixth time in eight years the Preakness will happen with no chance of a Triple Crown on the line. American Pharoah in 2015 and Justify in 2018 are the only horses to sweep all three races over the past four decades.

Read More...

Late Spring Snowstorm Slams Colorado, Closing Schools & Disrupting Commuters

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) — A late spring snowstorm has started to taper off in Colorado after closing schools, delaying flights and creating slushy conditions for commuters. The storm swept over the Rocky Mountains and into the High Plains on Tuesday. A winter storm warning is in effect through Wednesday afternoon. Some mountain communities received about 2 feet of snow and Boulder got about a foot. Denver International Airport experienced delays and cancellations. Warmer temperatures are expected to return Thursday. Many welcomed the storm, which comes amid a drought.

Read More...

U.S. Military Fires On Iranian-Flagged Oil Tanker

A U.S. fighter jet on Wednesday fired on an Iranian oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman as it tried to breach the U.S. blockade of Iran’s ports, the U.S. military said. The attack occurred as Iran and the U.S. are officially in a ceasefire and as the two countries seemed to be approaching an agreement to end the war. U.S. President Donald Trump threatened Iran with a new wave of bombing if a deal is not reached that includes opening the critical Strait of Hormuz.

Read More...

M and M Extra: Grandma Thinks "The Sopranos" is A Choir

Mike says a sweet old lady berated him when she found out "The Sopranos" was not about a church choir.

Read More...

48 Hours or the Bombing Resumes

48 Hours or the Bombing Resumes

Read More...

M and M Extra: CNN's Founder Dead at 87

Mike and Mark reflect on the legacy left behind by CNN's founder Ted Turner.

Read More...

M and M Extra: Child Murderer's Death Sentence

A Texas jury sentenced former FedEx driver Tanner Horner to death for the 2022 capital murder of 7-year-old Athena Strand, a case where the prosecution played harrowing audio of the little girl's final moments inside his delivery van.

Read More...

First ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... Last

Salem News Channel Today

Sponsored Links

On Air & Up Next

  • The Hugh Hewitt Show
    12:00PM - 3:00PM
     
    Hugh Hewitt is one of the nation’s leading bloggers and a genuine media   >>
     
  • The Larry Elder Show
    3:00PM - 6:00PM
     
    Larry Elder personifies the phrase “We’ve Got a Country to Save” The “Sage from   >>
     
  • SEKULOW
    6:00PM - 7:00PM
     
    Logan Sekulow and Will Haynes are joined by Jordan Sekulow to discuss Justice   >>
     
  • The Mike Gallagher Show
    7:00PM - 10:00PM
     
    Trump warns Iran “clock is ticking” until U.S. launches harder strikes Trump   >>
     
  • That Kevin Show
    10:00PM - 12:00AM
     
    Broadcast from the heart of Times Square, Kevin McCullough takes America’s   >>
     

See the Full Program Guide